Saturday, July 19, 2014

Heading Out West

I have some exciting news to announce: Next week I'm moving to a new site, where I'll serve out the remaining fourteen months of my time as a volunteer in El Salvador.

I hope to bring to a close the days of lamenting Toreras' inadequacies as a Peace Corps site, so it will suffice to say that a community without aspirations for its future cannot make productive use of a Peace Corps Volunteer. I have learned and grown a great deal over the course of my nine months in Toreras, and do not regret having been sent there, but I would be lying if I said that I am not very happy to have an opportunity to spend the duration of my Peace Corps service in a place that has some capacity to make use of me and offers reasons to feel hopeful about its future and the future of El Salvador.

That place is Citalá, Chalatenango, a small city on the western side of the country. I visited there last week with my Project Manager to meet a few community leaders and my future host family, and left with a favorable first impression. I am reticent to provide many details, having only visited my new community briefly, so I'll leave those to future posts. 

I leave Toreras on Thursday, July 24, and my first day in Citalá will be Friday, July 25. 

No comments:

Post a Comment